So I was this complete introvert and a lonely traveler when I was traveling all the way from JFK to India for the first time and it was a round trip that caused even more discomfort to me. Despite the cheap airfares and the luxurious facilities provided in the air plane I wasn’t comfortable. I have one major issue which I am sure is common with many people. We cannot sleep in new places or in journeys. But this one trip from JFK to HYD taught me a lot. Traveling to new places can be the adventure of a lifetime, even if sleeping on a plane seems impossible. When the day comes to gather up your belongings and head to the airport, the adrenaline rush is worth experiencing. But then you are reminded that your flight journey is longer which will turn your sleep shorter. Arriving at your destination feeling groggy and cranky is definitely not part of your perfect journey. Luckily for you, flying doesn’t have to be so terrible if you’re able to fit in some necessary hacks. To help you sleep your best when flying, follow these seven tips to ensure a peaceful flight that will leave you well-rested and ready to conquer your trip to its fullest. Enjoy further!
- AVOID CAFFEINE, SUGAR, AND ALCOHOL: This is the most important part that you should never do. Do not have much of any drinks. Though it may seem tempting sip on some wine to calm your nerves or to stock up on candy to get you through a flight, consuming sugar or caffeinated beverages can keep you up through the duration of your flight. This goes for alcohol too, which can dehydrate you and wake you mid-flight. Fresh juice and water are always good ways to go.
- OPT FOR THE WINDOW SEAT: Choosing a seat right beside the window might distract you with the clouds and all but you will eventually fall asleep with fantasies and dreams that might take you to fairy lands that are hiding behind the clouds. (Okay! Sounds funny). Psychologically it is a belief that a calm mind with a good image to see lets you fall asleep quickly. So make sure you go with the window seat so that the clouds put you to sleep.
- BRING YOUR OWN BLANKET: Bringing your own blanket has its advantages. Firstly many people are paranoid about cleanliness and they are always cautious and doubtful if the blanket provided by the flight attendants is hygienic or is washed or not. So the best thing you can do is bring your blanket. BYOB! You know what kind of blankets you like and your choice is elevated with you carrying it on your own. That will make you feel more comfortable because half of your hygiene tensions will vanish with this single deed.
- ADJUST YOUR SLEEP SCHEDULE: Trying to plan your flight to sync with your natural biological clock is the best way to go when it comes to sleeping during travel. Though red-eyes seem brutal, they are often best because they coincide with your body’s circadian rhythms. A few days before your flight, go to bed earlier and wake up earlier to help get your body adjusted to its new schedule.
- BUCKLE YOUR SEATBELT OVER YOUR BLANKET: This is a silly trick to help you feel even more comfortable. There are times when the flight course changes and there might be turbulence or something when you are fast asleep. Suddenly your blanket falls or slides down causing interruption in your sleep and wham, goes your dreamy sleep. So a seatbelt would protect your blanket’s position and it will be even more comfortable.
- TURN OFF YOUR TV SCREEN: If your airplane has the facility of personal airplanes then you can just turn it off to avoid the light to fall on your eyes that leads to ruining your sleep. So make sure that you turn it off to avoid any further disturbances. But if you are a type of person who doesn’t like darkness and prefers to keep the screen on then go on.
- TAKE OFF YOUR SHOES AND PUT ON SOME COZY SOCKS: Socks not only make you feel comfortable but also improve your blood circulation. Some people have the habit of putting their legs curled and sleeping. You cannot do that with shoes or any kind of footwear and that is where the socks come to rescue. Pair of socks are always cozy and handy. They are like a ‘must carry’ wherever you go. With such small things to keep in mind one can always fall asleep well in the flight journeys. I did it and I had the best flight sleep ever. Hoping you enjoy the same privilege!