Whenever people like us, who are from North East go out in other states and cities, we are not recognized as Indians. North East has always been under invisibility cloak. It is like as if we are a sack of dirty clothes pushed aside to the corner of some store room. But that is not what we are. In fact, we are the coolest people present in India. Amidst all the superstitions and fake caste systems, we maintain the best kind of lifestyle that has never brought us any sort of trouble and has kept us united in the whole of North East. Stated below are very few facts that have been brought to you from the huge list of coolest facts about North East.
- No Caste System: Most of the people here are Christian and there is no Caste System like what we find in other parts of India.
- No dowry system: Here, man has to pay some amount (Bride price) to the bride’s family, unlike other Indian customs where the bride’s family pay the dowry in huge amounts. Though most of the expenses for the wedding are managed by the groom’s family, many times the burden is shared between the two parties. Weddings are mostly done at low cost. Only rich people who can afford would arrange a big marriage party.
- Bride price is 420 Rupees: The amount of money to be paid by the man to the bride’s family is only 420 Rupees! If I remember correctly, it was fixed by the British government before Indian independence. It was a huge amount at that time and men had to work hard in order to save enough money to get a decent wife. Now, it’s worth almost nothing compared to its original value. We really don’t bother about the amount and there is also no reason why it should be raised, because we think that women should not be sold or purchased like a commodity. It’s all love marriage here.
- We eat rice: Yes, rice is the main food. No rice means it’s not a dinner. We are not familiar with chapati or roti. It takes a lot of effort to get adapted to other Indian foods as our food is completely different from them.
- No surnames: We don’t have surnames. No first name or last name. I don’t know why. But whenever people ask me why, I usually ask them back why they have surname and they can’t come up with a good reply either.
It is never about where you live. It is about how you live and how well you have lived. I agree that we live in that hidden paradise which you must not have seen at all or may be rarely because you fail to recognize the inner beauty of few places. But we are glad to be a part of the North East as it is truly a heaven on earth and is meant for all people like us who have always been abused and discriminated outside our borders. We are Indians and will always be. It is not our fault if you fail to recognize us! Give it a thought. Yes we look like the relatives of Koreans or Chinese or Japanese but it doesn’t mean we are not Indian. Be sensible and not reckless and judgmental. Be broad minded if you got the guts to call yourself one! WE ARE INDIANS! OPEN YOUR EYES! RECOGNIZE US! WE EXIST!