Apart from supporting a number of social and humanitarian causes like the “Narmada Bachao Aandolan” and the “Jan Lokpal Bill”, Aamir’s biggest contribution to society came through his TV show named “Satyamev Jayate” (Truth Alone Prevails). The show highlighted sensitive social issues prevalent in India such as female foeticides, child sexual abuse, dowry, medical malpractice, honor killings, insensitivity towards the physically disabled, domestic violence, overuse of pesticides leading to pesticide poisoning, alcoholism, untouchability, plight of senior citizens and water crisis. The show opened to highly positive reviews and feedback from eminent personalities and the common man alike. Here are some of the reviews the show received:
- “‘Satyamev Jayate’ is not just a show; it’s a movement to change people’s mindset.” – Ritu Singh, IBN Live
- “Aamir Khan has to step in to do what journalists are supposed to do – make a difference. The show is a classic example of that.” – Parmita Uniyal, Hindustan Times.
- “It is an expression of the power of media and the inherent potential of society in resolving its own problems.” – Kiran Bedi
- “Aamir Khan’s show can bring a revolution. Thoroughly researched covers all aspects touches emotional chord n forces us to reexamine ourselves.” – Shabana Azmi, Noted film actress.
- More than 64 nursing homes were suspended in Bhopal.
- Maharashtra flags off Generic medicine stores across the state.
- Chief Justice of the Rajasthan High Court Arun Mishra gave the green signal to set up a fast track court for expediting trial in the female foeticide case.
- Lok Sabha passes the ‘Protection of Children against Sexual Offences Bill’.
- The Prime Minister of India assures Aamir Khan that steps will be taken to abolish manual scavenging.
Aamir Khan made to cover page of TIME magazine Asia edition in September 2012 issue with title “Khan’s Quest” — “He is breaking the Bollywood mold by tackling India’s social evils. Can an actor change a nation?”
Yes, I think he did change this nation.