Hot, spicy, yummy Pav Bahji served with crunchy onions and slices of lime, coupled with butter-dripping, just-off-the-tawa Pav Bhaji is a street food favorite for good reason. Pav Bhaji has its origins in the civil war of America in the 1860s. Because of the civil war, there was a huge demand for cotton. Due to this, the traders at the Bombay cotton exchange used to be very busy especially during the night when new cotton rates used to be telegrammed from America. Thus they used to return home late and the annoyed wives would not serve them food. So to solve this problem the street vendors to collect the leftover bread from the Jesuit priests and mix all the vegetables, mash them together and used to eat them with the bread and butter. Thus Pav (bread) Bhaji (vegetables) was born. Thus from the humble beginnings, the street of Bombay to being a household item in the entire nation Pav Bhaji has come a long way. People from USA and other countries rush to eat this signature dish of India. India has witnessed people booking cheap flights from Washington to Mumbai India, just to have Pav Bhaji. Washington is the majorly crowded airport that offers flights from IAD to BOM. So if you are eager to come here, book your flights from IAD to Mumbai.
Birthplace of Tasty Dish
Maharashtra will always be the birthplace of this amazingly tasty dish but different parts of India have added their own flavors and variations to this popular street food. Here are 5 different variants of Pav Bhaji depending on which part of the country you’re in.
- Jain Pav Bhaji is no onion and no garlic version of the regular Pav Bhaji made using raw bananas instead of potatoes and mashed peas. This is available in Gujarat and parts of Maharashtra.
- Kathiawar is a region in Gujarat which has its own special cuisine. It is part of the Saurashtra region. Its coastline borders the Gulf of Kutch to the west, the Arabian Sea to the south and the Gulf of Khambhat to the southeast and east. The Pav Bhaji from this region has local spices added to it, giving it a very distinct taste, and it is usually washed down with a glass of buttermilk. Tempting isn’t it? Come on then. Book IAD to BOM flights.
- A variation where red chili powder is substituted by Kolhapuri spicy ginger garlic chutney to make it a spicier, garlicky version of the Pav Bhaji.
- Punjab’s version of Pav Bhaji is loaded with whole spices, excess butter and often accompanied by a glass of ‘Lassie’.
- Kada Pav Bhaji is the same as regular pav bhaji except that the vegetables in it are not mashed up but are chopped and cooked vegetables are kept intact and whole. You can feel it with every bite you take.
We know! We know! You must be browsing online about the recipe of Pav Bhaji. Honestly, you should be searching for cheap flights from Washington to Mumbai India because you can never get the original taste no matter what. Hurry up, book flights from IAD to BOM and rush down to our Pav Bhaji stalls as early as possible. They are totally worth it! Pav Bhaji has made people book last minute flights just to taste this exotic food, It has also made all those business class fliers stay back in Mumbai for a little longer when they fell in love with Pav Bhaji. So get ready to fall for this dish!