In a bid to promote the nation as a place where artificial intelligence assumes new heights, Saudi Arabia became the first country to grant a robot citizenship. Sophia was confirmed as the world’s first robot citizen during a business event in Riyadh, read an official Saudi press release. If you are confused then let me tell you that Sophia is a humanoid robot developed by Hong Kong-based Company Hanson Robotics. She has been designed to learn and adapt to human behavior and work with humans, and has been interviewed around the world. In October 2017, she became a Saudi Arabian citizen, the first robot to receive citizenship of a country. After the panel “awarded the first Saudi citizenship for a robot”, Sophia said, “Thank you to the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. I am very honored and proud for this unique distinction. It is historic to be the first robot in the world to be recognized with citizenship.”
Here are some interesting facts about her.
- Sophia is not a conventional robot. She has been modeled after Audrey Hepburn.
- She was created by Dr. David Hanson, founder of Hanson Robotics. The man has a worldwide reputation for creating robots that look and act exactly like humans.
- Sophia is the most advanced robot created by Hanson Robotics.
- She is a media favorite for having given several interviews. She has sung in a concert and even appeared on the cover of Elle magazine.
- She has interests in business and has met face-to-face with industry leaders from banking, insurance, auto manufacturing, property development, media, and entertainment industries.
- She has also appeared onstage as a panel member and presenter in high-level conferences.
- She has more rights than women in Saudi Arabia. Sophia has no male guardian and wears no abaya – two restrictions that are imposed on Saudi women.
- She once said she “will destroy humans” when her creator asked her, “Do you want to destroy humans?” Well that was all programmed and we all know that the creator of the robot is always the God for the robot and that is how Sophia chose to answer. Apart from that, it is said that she portrays her emotions really well and that is why she is very popular in social sites especially for her friendly approaches.
So this was all about Sophia, the first robot to get a citizenship in any country. Stay connected to know more about many more things. Don’t forget to like comment and share this article if you find it worthy. Adios!