Although among the lesser-visited states in India, there are scores of amazing places to visit in Odisha. Formerly called Orissa, Odisha is a unique blend of tradition and modernity. Visit and explore its rural beauty, enchanting ancient temples, Buddhist relics, tribal culture, and stunning traditional art forms. Enthralling nature and animal enthusiasts, the state is also home to some amazing wildlife parks, sanctuaries, and unpolluted beaches. These are just a handful of several must visit places in Odisha. If you’re a first time visitor to the state, read on to know about some amazing places to visit in Odisha on your maiden trip.
Top Historical Tourist Places in Odisha:
Odisha is one of the most offbeat places to vacation in India. Book last minute flights and come to explore some of the top attractions in Odisha. The state is home to diverse attractions that suit the needs of all types of travelers. Its top historical sites include:
- Cuttack: Odisha’s second largest city, Cuttack is famed for being the cultural capital of the state. Cuttack is where you will find exotic local handicrafts and an incredible inflow and outflow of quintessential Oriyan artifacts. It is also the center of all commercial activities. It’s one of the best places to visit in Odisha during summer.
- Konark: Home to the spectacular Sun Temple, Konark is among the most interesting places to visit in Odisha. A UNESCO World Heritage Site, the Sun Temple is awesome to look at and offers you countless photo ops. You can go add some amazing shots to your Odisha tourist places photo gallery.
- Buddhist Sites: Approximately 2 hours from Bhubaneswar, these Buddhist sites are among the most interesting places to explore in Odisha. Here, you will find ancient Buddhist temples, shrines, stupas, monasteries, and sculptures of Buddhist images among other things. The site is set amidst a rural landscape making it both picturesque and peaceful.
Top Religious Places in Odisha:
If you check the Odisha tourist places map, you will see that the state is home to several religious places that will completely fascinate and spiritually inclined travelers. Top religious places in Odisha include:
- Bhubaneswar: Popularly referred to as the Temple City of India, Bhubaneswar is the top choice when it comes to religious places in Odisha. The religious tourism center of Odisha, Bhubaneswar is home to scores of majestically built ancient temples which have retained their charm and fervor over the years.
- Puri: A fantastic beach town, Puri is one of the four must visit places in Odisha for Hindu pilgrimage. One of the best Odisha tourist places district wise, Puri is known as the resting place of Hindu deity Shiva. The famed Jagannath Temple is a must-visit in Puri. Along with Bhubaneswar and Konark temples, Puri completes the religious Golden Triangle of Odisha.
- Konark: An architectural marvel, the Sun Temple in Konark is among the most famous Hindu temples of the world. The Sun festival and Annual Dance festival celebrated in Konark draw scores of people from the world over!
- Sambalpur: Owing its name to Devi Samaleswari, the main goddess of the region, Sambalpur holds immense religious significance. Western Odisha’s largest city, Sambalpur is also famous for the innumerable freedom fights which occurred here. Thereby, the place holds as much historical significance as it does a religious one.
- Dhauli: Placed about 8 km from Bhubaneswar, Dhauli holds incredible significance for followers of Lord Buddha. One of the most stunning places to visit in Odisha, Dhauli is believed to be the land of the Kalinga war that took place sometime in the 3rd century BC. You will find several Buddhist stupas, pillars, and chaityas around town built by King Ashoka.
Top Beaches in Odisha:
Beaches are among the best places to visit in Odisha during monsoon as the water level is at its highest and the weather is at its utmost best. Avail money-saving deals on business class flights and come to visit some of the best beaches in Odisha. Top beaches in Odisha constitute the following:
- Chandipur Beach: Chandipur Beach is numbered among the extremely picturesque places to visit in Odisha. It is popularly known as the “receding beach” in Odisha because the ebb tides here recede all the way back to around 1 to 4 km during low tides. The beach offers spectacular sunrise and sunset views.
- Gopalpur Beach: Owing to its offbeat nature, remoteness, less crowded ambiance, and sparkling gold sands, Gopalpur Beach is considered to be one of the most beautiful beaches in India. You’ll find plenty of shanties along the beach serving lip-smacking seafood.
- Puri Beach: Placed at about 35 km distance from the Sun Temple, Puri Beach is a top attraction in the region. One of the best picnic spots in Odisha, Puri Beach is home to crystal blue waters and stunning sand sculptures. There is always a large influx of devotees heading to the beach for a purification dip before visiting the Sun Temple.
- Talasari Beach: Head over to this tranquil spot untouched by massive crowds and calm your senses. Enjoy a stroll amidst the peaceful ambiance, go for thrilling bike rides, and gorge on delicious food served around the beach.
Top National Parks in Odisha:
Showcasing the rich biodiversity of the region, the national parks of Odisha are incredible to visit. In the lush green and dense forests of the parks, one can spot incredible wildlife such as hyenas, deer, jungle cats, wild boars, and leopards among other animals. Top national parks in Odisha include:
- Tikarpada Wildlife Sanctuary: Sheltering a vast variety of wildlife species, the Tikarpada Wildlife Sanctuary is spread across more than 790 sq. km. With lush green surroundings, the park is also home to a Gharial Sanctuary in addition to animals such as gaurs, leopards, spotted deer, sambal, and tigers among others.
- Bhitarkanika Wildlife Sanctuary: Home to some of the rarest species of flora and fauna, this is regarded as one of the best wildlife sanctuaries in India. Attracting a large number of migratory animal species in addition to the myriad of endemic ones it’s already home to, this is among the best places to visit in Odisha for animal enthusiasts.
The above mentioned are just some of the several awesome places to visit in Odisha. Book a few cheap flights and fly down to this remarkable Indian region for your vacation this year. Explore every inch and corner of this fascinating place to your heart’s content.