India has made history by unveiling the Statue of Unity – the tallest ever statue in the world! Leaving behind the Spring Temple of Buddha statue in China (the former tallest statue in the world), this spectacular statue in Gujarat is an incredible 182-meter (or 600 feet) attraction that has taken over the world’s fancy. A tribute to Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel, legendary Indian freedom fighter and the first deputy Prime Minister of the country, the Statue of Unity has seen a steady stream of visitors right since its inauguration on 31st October 2018 – on the 143rd birthday of the iconic leader Sardar Patel.
If you haven’t seen it yet, just look up some of the Statue of Unity images online to see what we mean. Immortalizing the Iron Man of India, as Sardar Patel was fondly called, the Statue of Unity is one attraction you simply cannot miss! Here’s what you should know before visiting this incredible world marvel.
A Brief about the Statue of Unity Project:
The project to make this colossal statue was announced by the Government back in 2010. The Statue of Unity pays homage to the great Indian leader Sardar Patel credited with using non-violent methods to unite 562 states that formed this remarkable country. The contract was given to Larsen and Toubro and work on the statue began in October 2013. Ram V. Sutar is the incredibly talented Indian sculptor who designed the statue. The Statue of Unity progress 2018 went full throttle until finally being unveiled in October of the same year. The Statue of Unity inauguration by Prime Minister Narendra Modi was watched by people all over the world. It’s a marvel that makes people book last minute flights for impromptu trips just to come and see it!
Where is the Statue of Unity Located?
The Statue of Unity is constructed on a river island known as Sadhu Bet. The island lies on the Narmada Riverbed and in close vicinity to the Sardar Sarovar Dam. It falls 100 km from Vadodara city and 190 km from the capital city Ahmedabad. If you look at some Statue of Unity videos online, you’ll be able to see stunning panoramic views of the surroundings. It’s one of the best attractions to check out in India when visiting on business class flights.
Statue of Unity Bookings:
The Statue of Unity is open for a visit all days of the week from 9:00 am in the morning to 6:00 pm in the evening. Express entry fee is INR 1000 per adult and per child. INR 350 per head (adult and child) is the entry fee to the Observation Deck. This will take you 400 feet in the air for a closer look at the statue. Otherwise, you can get ordinary tickets costing INR 120 per adult and INR 60 per child. There is no entry fee for children who are less than 3 years old. You can book Statue of Unity tickets either on the site itself or online.
How to Reach Statue of Unity:
The incredible Statue of Unity has been added to the list of awesome things that set India apart from the world. Visit and be amazed! Here’s how you can reach it: The nearest airport to the Statue of Unity is the Vadodara Airport. Alternatively, you can also book flights to Ahmedabad International Airport. You can take a cab from the airport to reach the statue. If arriving by rail, Vadodara Railway Station is the nearest one to the statue. There are several bus routes that lead here as well.
Interesting Trivia about the Statue of Unity:
For the uninitiated, there are a couple of awesome things to know about the remarkable Statue of Unity. Knowing these unusual but cool facts will make your visit to the statue that much more special. Check them out below!
- Standing at 182 meters, the Statue of Unity is the tallest statue in the world.
- The estimated cost of the statue’s construction is INR 3,000 crores.
- The stunning sculpture has been designed and carved by Ram V. Sutar, an acclaimed Padma Bhushan recipient.
- The statue is built to withstand an earthquake of approximately 6.5 on the Richter scale and a wind speed of about 60 m/s.
- The ‘Loha’ campaign raised over 129 tons of iron given by approximately 100 million agricultural farmers from more than 150,000 villages across the country.
- There is a three-layered core structure to the Statue of Unity: The innermost one has been made using reinforced concrete; the second structure of the statue is made of steel; the last or outermost layer is a magnificent bronze cladding of approximately 8 mm.
- The Statue of Unity houses two lifts with each having the capacity of carrying about 26 people at a time.
- You can see the Statue of Unity from a radius of approximately 7 km.
Excited to see the Statue of Unity in Gujarat yet? Book flight tickets to India and come to visit this spectacular statue as soon as you can! This is one trip you won’t regret making. Enjoy the marvelous sight the imposing Statue of Unity offers and learn about the rich legacy the Iron Man of India left behind.